Friday, March 11, 2011

English Language Learners and the Importance of Visual Teaching

I was teaching a class yesterday and as always I start up with a little warm up. I like to be able to walk around the classroom and ask the students’ questions while looking at what they have recorded in their journals. After class, I had a student come up to me and request that I write the answers on the chalk board. She is from Japan and moved to the US about two years ago. She has a pretty good grasp on the English language (I would not have known that she wasn’t born here) but because it is a science class she needs to see the words written out. That way she can look them up after class in her language and have a better understanding of the lesson. I realized that this should be the practice for all my classes because some of the students are visual learners and need to see the answers written down, especially if it has some form of math in it. I know it is important to move around the classroom, but in this case I should check their journals (answers to warm ups) at a different time.

Another day of teaching and another nugget of knowledge!

-HIPV

No comments:

Post a Comment